by Bronagh on August 3, 2018
- Before putting pen to paper and writing the ‘Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know’ trilogy, Chloe Esposito was an English teacher. ‘Bad’ is the second book in the trilogy.
- To readers of the blog who may not be familiar with you or your writing, can you tell us a bit about yourself and how you got into writing.
I have always wanted to become a novelist and used to write in secret in my spare time. When I hit 30, I suddenly became aware of my own mortality and thought, ‘S**t, I had better get on with it! It’s now or never. I enrolled on the Writing a Novel course at the Faber Academy. When I had 21 literary agents offering to represent me and my work, I realised I had to focus on writing. I was beyond delighted to quit my job as a management consultant and become a full time author.
- Can you tell us about you latest book ‘Bad’
‘Bad’ is the second book in the ‘Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know’ trilogy featuring my badass anti-heroine, Alvina Knightly. Alvie has been described as uncensored, unhinged and unforgettable and she is an evil identical twin. Bad continues where Mad left off, and follows Alvie to Rome where she embarks on a life-or-death cat and mouse chase with her hitman boyfriend, Nino. I like to think of it as an x-rated version of Finding Nemo. It is a darkly comic and sexy thriller: ‘Fleabag’ meets ‘Kill Bill’.
- What’s your favourite opening line from a book?
I love any story that begins ‘Once upon a time…’ I was a massive bookworm as a child and love reading bedtime stories to my daughters (if they are good).
- If you were to start your own book club, what authors would you ask to join?
Gillian Flynn and Stephen King. Oh and Patricia Highsmith even though she is dead (!?)
- If you were starting your writing journey again, would you do anything differently?
I would start it seriously much earlier and bypass the boring years spent as a management consultant writing endless business reports.
- What made you write female fiction?
Having my two daughters had made me a feminist. I wanted to write a novel with a strong, complex female character who breaks all the rules and stereotypes to prove that girls can be just as bad as the bad boys, if not more so.
- What’s your favourite book of all time?
- Who’s your favourite literary hero or heroine?
- If you were stranded on a desert island, which three books would you bring with you to pass the time?
The complete works of Shakespeare
‘The Bible’ because I have never read it and I probably should have and it’s incredible long so will keep me busy…
- What area do you suggest a budding writer should concentrate on to further their abilities?
Reading. In order to write well, you first need to read everything. Then get a writing group for regular feedback on your work.
- When sitting down to write, what is the one item you need beside you?
My laptop. I am pretty low maintenance.
- And finally do you have any projects or releases on the horizon which you would like to share with the of the website?
I am writing ‘Dangerous to Know’ at the moment and am really excited about how the Alvina Knightly trilogy will end! I am also very excited about the movie of ‘Mad’, which is currently in production at Universal Studios!
Follow Chloe Esposito on Twitter Chloe Esposito for updates.
You can buy Bad from Amazon and is available to buy from good bookshops.