Victoria Walters has always loved creating stories. Her first book was handwritten when she was sixteen years old, and was closely modelled on the Sweet Valley High series. Victoria studied sociology at Warwick University and has since worked for a business publisher and as a Waterstones bookseller. Her debut novel was called ’The Summer I Met You’ and ‘Random Acts Of Kindness’ is her new ebook series.
- To readers of the blog who may not be familiar with you or your writing, can you tell us a bit about yourself and how you got into writing.
Hello all! I am a womens fiction author with one novel published (The Second Love Of My Life) and I’m now writing a serial called Random Acts Of Kindness, which is being released in four eBook parts with part one having just been published. I am also a Waterstones bookseller, and I live in Surrey with my cat Harry!
- Can you tell us about your new book series ‘Random Acts of Kindness’
It’s about three very different women who discover that kindness can change your life.
Abbie has fled London and the humiliation of not being able to make rent after being made redundant. Louise, seriously unlucky in love, has thrown herself into her career at the local hospital. And Eszter, who has travelled from Hungary with her daughter Zoe, hopes to fulfill her husband’s dying wish… to reunite his family.
Set in the small Surrey town of Littlewood, it’s hopefully a heart-warning and life-affirming story.
- If you were to start your own book club, what authors would you ask to join?
It with be fun to start a womens fiction one and I’d invite authors like Cathy Bramley, Cressida McLaughlin, Lisa Dickenson who share my agent and it would be amazing to have authors like Paige Toon, Jojo Moyes and Cecelia Ahern if we’re dreaming big. Lots of cake and book chat, it would be awesome!
- What’s your favourite part of the writing process?
Writing the first draft because I just love the freedom of telling yourself the story. Editing is tricky and involves other cooks but that first draft is just you and a blank page!
- What’s your favourite opening line from a book?
Oh wow that’s tough! Either ‘It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife’ or ‘I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.’ Two of my favourite books!
- Your quite prolific on Instagram, what’s your top tip to take the perfect photograph?
Definitely think about your light especially if you’re using your iPhone like I do – natural light is best but not direct sunlight, and always edit the photo to make it as good as you can.
- Who’s your favourite literary hero or heroine?
- What do you think makes a good book?
One that makes you feel something.
- If you were stranded on a desert island, which three books would you bring with you to pass the time?
Only three?! Oh no!! Can I cheat and bring all of the Harry Potter series?! That along with ‘Pride and Prejudice’, and ‘Jane Eyre’.
- What area do you suggest a budding writer should concentrate on to further their abilities?
Keep writing. The more you write, the better you will become. There is no secret, just keep trying, and don’t be afraid to move on to a new story because it’s all good practice.
- When sitting down to write, what is the one item you need beside you?
I have to listen to music when I write so either CD player or Spotify!
- And finally do you have any projects or releases on the horizon which you would like to share with the readers of the website.
Parts two to four of Random Acts Of Kindness are coming soon so make sure you pre-order!
You can buy the Random Acts of Kindness books 1-4 from Amazon